Running a startup poses an insane amount of challenges. In addition to building your business, you have to worry about competition, funding, and staying within the legal boundaries of the small business world.
To help you make time for the things that matter, it’s important to manage your productivity. Being productive allows you to get done what you need to get done so you can have more time to deal with the stressors of running your business. Here are some tips to help you manage your time and keep your stress at bay.
- Get your least favorite tasks done first: Everyone has those things we hate working on. If you’re like me, you try to put those things off until the last minute. Unfortunately, those tasks linger in the back of our mind until they’re completed. It’s best to get those pesky things accomplished first thing in the morning so you can focus on what you enjoy doing the rest of the day. Perhaps you’ll even get the annoying tasks done quicker so you can move on to better things.
- Devote time to get away from the computer: It may seem counterproductive, but it’s easy to get burnout if you’re constantly staring at a screen. This can lead to getting even less done. Take 30 minutes every few hours to read a book or take a drive. When you return, you’ll feel a lot better about getting work done. Your brain and your eyes will thank you!
- Write down your tasks: Writing down your tasks is a little extra work every day, but it can put your brain at ease in the long run. Apps like Todoist and Bear help you keep your tasks organized and monitor your daily progress. “Gamifying” your checklist can also act as a good motivator too.
- Timeboxing: Put your boxing gloves away. This strategy involves allocating a specific amount of time for any given task. This forces you to find easier and more efficient ways to finish things. Harvard Business Review ranked it as one of the best tips for productivity.
- Healthy Diet: Red Bull is fine and all but you’re bound to crash when you drink them. Eat things rich in nutrients and fiber like whole grains and vegetables for better, more sustained energy throughout the day. High-protein foods help provide amino acids that will boost your concentration and alertness. Avoid foods that are too carb-heavy to avoid the crash.
Whether you use all of these tips or only one, it’s important that you end the day with even a little sense of accomplishment. So make time getting the things done that will give you that feeling, even if it means not getting everything done.